A classic scone base for fruit or cheese or whatever you please.
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup cold butter
1/4 cup fruit
1 cup buttermilk
- Mix dry ingredients
- Grate butter into dry mix; periodically coat shredded butter with dry mix
- Add fruit / cheese
- Add buttermilk a little at a time (might not need all of it)
- Make sure not to over-mix or over-knead
- Shape into circle and cut into 6; place on baking sheet
- Bake at 350 F for 8 minutes, turn tray, then bake 8 more minutes.